Coffee. Java. Brew. Cup o’ Joe. Café. Jet Fuel. WHATEVER YOU CALL IT, just know that I LOVE IT.
My husband and I are both coffee drinkers. Errr’day. We brew a 12 cup pot and it’s perfect for each of us to fill our mugs twice. So when we started our fitness program, which incorporated a clean diet, I freaked. I mean, maybe cried a little. OK, a lot. Whatever! At the time, we used 2 (hefty) scoops of powder creamer (powder so it didn’t make my coffee cold like liquid creamer does!) and a couple of Splenda packets. Basically: candy. We drank candy for breakfast. And it was delicious.
After we stopped crying, we fully committed to this new change. I mean, I knew we needed to clean up our diet (coffee included), but easier said than done! We started off tapering down to 1 scoop of creamer, then 1/2 a scoop, then a pinch (I wish I was joking), before we were able to completely kick it. BOOM! Success! Next challenge: Splenda. Same process. Same tears. This was definitely tougher than the creamer. Here’s what I tried:
- Pure maple syrup. Some swear by it. I thought it was gross.
- Honey. Fine for tea or a biscuit. Not for my coffee.
- Raw sugar. You need about 6 cups of this to taste it.
- Coconut oil. People say to put it in a blender with your coffee and it makes a frothy, barista-style frappé. Know what I tasted? Oil. Yeah… no.
- Cinnamon. I might have over-sprinkled, but this just did NOT work for me. Cinnamon + black coffee tasted like a burnt cinnamon roll… without the yummy cream cheese icing to mask it.
- Stevia in the Raw. FINALLY. Something that would sweeten my coffee just enough, and not taste like breakfast in my cup. I started with 2 packets, then worked my way down to 1.
Fast forward to today: I use a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1 stevia packet. My goal is to go black. No additives, nothing complicated. I want to go away for a weekend and not pack my stevia (this is a real thing, yall).
Need help cleaning up your coffee? Try some of those suggestions above. Want to know WHY you should clean up your coffee? Here is a great post about what’s in those dangerously delicious coffee creamers.
Meanwhile, wish me luck on my Operation: Black Coffee.
Want more clean recipes? Subscribe below so they go right to your inbox!